Monday, September 10, 2012

Day One Kindergarten Writing Workshop

We have been writing since school started. Together, on Sight Word Sheets, on pictures, etc. But today we began WRITING WORKSHOP! I let the kids know when I greeted them this morning that I was excited about our special NEW activity. I used Rocket Writes a Story by Tad Hill as an introduction.  I didn't read the whole book at first - just up until Rocket thinks of an idea. This lead into our lesson really well. I showed the students the paper we would use today. I also showed them where we keep papers they can choose on their own later.  Here is the story I wrote with a little help from my friends. I also made little posters with the steps the students should follow to write their story. 1. Think of an idea. 2. Draw! 3. Write!  I am going to make permanent posters using photographs later this week (when my granddaughter is available to model:)

I was especially happy with the "sharing" after the writing.  Children volunteered to come up to the front and use our "microphone" to "read" their writing. Some kids had actual writing, some a word or 2 and some basically nothing.  

BUT they all told a story! 
Hip, hip, hurray!

Then my heart warmed as they shared with each other.

Yes, I'm a sap. But kindergarten writers are amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment