Saturday, September 1, 2012

Directed Drawing - van Gogh Sunflowers


Directed Drawing participant
a completed pencil drawing
I outline in black Sharpie before students paint
Every time I teach a Directed Drawing lesson - I am amazed anew! The first attempt this school year was a vase of flowers a la van Gogh's Sunflowers. I had sunflowers in vases for the Open House, but they did not survive long enough to use as models. Too hot I guess.  There are prints of van Gogh's sunflower paintings hanging in our classroom as he is our featured artist this month. We read van Gogh and the Sunflowers by Laurence Anholt as well as some other van Gogh books. I introduce Directed Drawing with finger exercises, correct pencil grip, and a pillow of paper under our drawing paper. Step by step I describe the lines as I draw under the document camera. Students follow along, each drawing in their own unique style. AMAZING! We use water color on the drawings later at stations. MASTERPIECES!

Give Directed Drawing a try! Great for pencil grip, fine motor, listening skills, following direction and ART!

1 comment:

  1. I love the results - did you create the directed drawing yourself? I'd love to try it with my kids if outré willing to share...
    Julialockhart5@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete